Dear Friends of the Foundation:
I'm thrilled to be able to share with you what is happening in the work of FTE!
Dr. Bill Dembski, FTE's Academic Editor and co-author of The Design of Life, emailed the final version of Chapter 7 to us today. The entire manuscript has been written and the process of aggressive editing and proofing for scholarship, scientific fact, and careful expression has been completed on all but the eighth--and final--chapter. The manuscript is virtually ready to go into production. We are now well into the acquisition of photos and other images, and detailed planning of the layout, design, and typesetting.
Presenting the latest scientific data and strongest arguments, DOL will be the most comprehensive book on intelligent design. The enormous potential of DOL to accelerate the growing popularity of intelligent design and move our culture to far greater acceptance, is exhilarating. And, Dembski points out, "It is bullet-proof, which in part accounts for the delay in its arrival."
- We are racking up advanced sales. Most recently: a major book club has expressed enthusiasm about the book and asked to see the manuscript even while it is incomplete.
- In October, we wrote about the intelligent design conference sponsored in Tampa by PSSI, (Physicians and Surgeons for Scientific Integrity), which was attended by nearly 4,000 at the Univ. of South Florida Sun Dome Sports Arena. (You may remember that Bill Dembski was interviewed at the podium about The Design of Life.) The interview and conference were videotaped by Real Time Video, and information, both verbal and visual, was given, telling viewers how to go to our web site and lock in a 20% discount on the purchase of the book. Recently, we got a followup call from Tom Woodward, President of the C.S. Lewis Society, with good news on the status of the project. The $17,500 necessary to edit the raw footage has recently been donated. In two to three months, the entire conference, and book ordering info, will go onto the worldwide web for three months. We'll keep you posted!
- On April 12, Bill Dembski will speak at the Dallas Christian Leadership luncheon at SMU. (This is in the very room where our now famous symposium on Darwinism took place in 1992.) Contact us for more details if you would like to attend.
- I have begun meeting with the committee that is bringing a Discovery Institute program, Darwin vs. Design, to Dallas on April 13-14. It will be held at SMU's McFarlin Auditorium, and will feature talks by Lee Strobel, former award-winning legal editor of The Chicago Tribune and author of The Case for Creation, together with three Discovery Institute Senior Fellows, Drs. Stephen C. Meyer, Michael Behe, and Jay Richards. The Discovery Institute is providing a group rate for all FTE supporters-- $30.00 instead of $55.00. Go to www.darwinvsdesign.com and click on the Dallas, April 13 -14 date. To order tickets, put in the code: DVDGRP9. This will allow for an individual to attend for only $30.00, couples $45.00 and students $5.
- I have been invited to take part in a televised panel discussion on intelligent design, 1 ½ hours in length, on the McCuistion Show on KERA, Channel 13, a PBS station. The show will be taped on April 24.
- In approximately a year, FTE is planning to co-sponsor a conference on intelligent design with the L. Russ Bush Center for Science and Culture at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forrest, NC. In his initial letter of inquiry, Dr. Bush, Director of the Center, encouraged us with these words: "I have also been impressed for years with FTE, the broad range of scholars you have engaged, and especially your publications. The Design of Life is a great opportunity to introduce Intelligent Design to the region around Raleigh/Wake Forest, North Carolina." Dr. Bush says the Fellows of the Center, as well as the Seminary's President, Dr. Daniel Akin, are very enthused about the plans to co-sponsor the conference.
Raising the Funds to Publish: An Update
We must raise $250,000 to publish the book-to print, publicize, and market it aggressively, especially to the young. Candidly, we really hope to raise $275,000, to give it a stronger sendoff.
We are very excited to tell you where we stand. As of today, we have received gifts totaling approximately $113,000. $50,000 of that was wired to our account on Monday. The offer of another $50,000 is giving us great momentum, having been pledged as a matching challenge. This means that if we can raise the matching $50,000 by May 31st, we can add $100,000 to the $113,000 already raised! That would bring our total to $213,000, putting the finish line very much in view.
Thank you for your vital partnership with us. We greatly appreciate it, and you.
With heartfelt gratitude,
P.S. If you would like to receive the newsletters by e-mail only, please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.